To make the net, I cut a round piece of cardboard and marked the the center with a north-south and east-west guideline. I cut long strips (I think 16") of the brown velvet and wove a lattice pattern like a pie. I then used pins to keep the strips in place and then sewed each overlap point with matching thread (see image below). THIS TOOK AGES. Once the lattice part was sewn, I finished the edges by making a loop at the end of each strip. THIS ALSO TOOK AGES. The loops were then used to thread a length of brown twill tape that meets at the nape of my neck. The twill tape is pulled tight once I have the net in place. To cover the loops and twill tape, I pleated the black velvet, as was common in period images (see below). I roll my hair into a rat at the nape of my neck, put the net on, and secure with a few bobby pins. So much easier than making buns, braids, and rolls that I used to. Also, I just like the neat and tidy look.
|1860s velvet hair net side view|
|1860s velvet hair net back view|
|1860s velvet hair net bathroom mirror shot!|
|Flat velvet ribbon|